Veterans Treatment Court
Veterans Treatment Court began in the First Circuit (Honolulu) in 2013 and launched in the Third Circuit (Hawaii County) in 2014. The defendants selected to participate in Veterans Treatment Court have all served in the U.S. Armed Forces and have experienced difficulties acclimating back into society. Many have mental health issues, including post-traumatic stress disorder, and the majority struggle with substance abuse as well.
The Veterans Treatment Court takes a holistic approach to help provide the resources and treatment these veterans need to get healthy, get employed, and return to being law-abiding citizens so they can enjoy the freedoms they fought to protect. Judge Matthew J. Viola and his team partner with staff from U.S. Vets and Salvation Army Addiction Treatment Services so the defendants can be evaluated and treated for mental health and substance abuse. In addition, the Court helps these defendants find housing and get job training.
The defendants are also paired with volunteer veteran mentors, who have an understanding of the difficulties these men and women are facing and help support them through the process of recovery.
While under the Court’s supervision, these veterans must undergo urine analysis on a regular basis and are required to report to Veterans Treatment Court every Friday at 2 p.m., unless otherwise directed by the judge. If the defendant violates the terms of the program or his or her probation, then he or she is subject to immediate consequences and jail time to ensure accountability.
For more information, please contact the Veterans Treatment Court Coordinator Jason Dupont at
Other Related Links
- Judiciary Hosts Hawaii’s First Veterans Treatment Court Conference, 08-12-2016
- Hawaii Veterans Treatment Court Celebrates More Successful Graduates, 05-13-2016
- CONNECT-A-VET: First Circuit Veterans Treatment Court Reaches Out To Veterans In The Community, 03-24-2016
- Celebrating Five More Graduates From the Hawaii Veterans Treatment Court, 10-23-2015
- First Veterans Treatment Court Graduation Held on Oahu, 04-20-2015
- Big Island Launches Veterans Treatment Court, 11-10-2014
- Veterans Court Honored by State House of Representatives, 07-02-2014
- Mahalo for Helping Our Veterans, 03-14-2014