Welcome to the Hawaii bar application website. If you are interested in applying for the Hawaii bar, please read the information below.
If you want to sit for the:
- February examination, the application must be submitted by November. 1.
- July examination, the application must be submitted by April 1.
Bar examinations are given on Tuesday and Wednesday during the week of the last Wednesday of February and July.
- Effective February 2014, the bar examination fee will be $500.00. Fees will not be transferred or refunded. If you wish to pay on-line by credit card please have your credit card ready. After you select “Pay” you will be required to enter your payment information.
- You will be required to pay a fee to the National Conference of Bar Examiners when you complete and submit your NCBE HAWAII Character and Fitness Application.
- A laptop user fee will be assessed by ExamSoft
- Review the Hawaii Bar Application instructions. You are required to submit a copy of the NCBE HAWAII Character and Fitness Application with your Hawaii Bar Application.
- In preparing for the Hawaii Bar Application, read the Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii, Rule 1 with particular attention to Rule 1.3 and the Hawaii Board of Bar Examiners Rules of Procedure
- The applicant is responsible for submitting a complete application. Incomplete applications may be rejected. The applicant must:
- Review the application and forms to determine the attachments needed. Be aware of the dated material requirements.
- Assemble the required forms and attachments as Adobe PDF files (for electronic applications) or paper copies (for paper applications),
- Submit the forms and attachments with the application or as otherwise instructed.
- Rule 1.17 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii the Limited admission of United States Uniformed Services spouse-attorneys was effective as of July 1, 2018. To qualify under this rule, you must meet all requirements as stated in Rule 1.17 and all other court rules as specified. When applying for admission to the Bar of the State of Hawaii, follow the Hawaii Bar Application Instructions as provided above. In addition, file a written request to identify your application for admission is pursuant to Rule 1.17 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii.
The Hawaii Board of Examiners recommends for admission to the bar individuals who have demonstrated minimum competency and requisite character. The Board may recommend for admission only applicants who have proven a record of conduct that will justify the trust of clients, adversaries, courts, and others with respect to professional responsibilities. See, e.g., Rule 1.3 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii and In re W.D.P., 104 Hawaii 435, 91 P.3d 1078 (2004).
Please direct all electronic Bar Application questions to the SCCO (Supreme Court Clerks Office) help line at 539-4789, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. HST. For other general questions regarding the Bar Application, please email email@example.com or call the Board of Examiners Office at 539-4977.
Main Bar Application Page
- Contact Us
- ADA Policy & Instructions for Non-Standard Testing Accommodations
- Board of Examiners Rules
- Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii, Rule 1
Bar Application and Related Links
- eBar Application
- Hawaii Bar Application Instructions
- ExamSoft Laptop Testing Registration
- National Conference of Bar Examiners
- Checklist of Required Documents
- Contacts for Certificates of Good Standing
- eBar App Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms (Download and Print)
- Hawaii Bar Exam Components and Subjects
- Hawaii Bar Exam Where & When
- Paper Application for Bar Exam
- Scanning Documents