Effective Dec. 1, all hearings originally scheduled for South Kohala District Court will be held at the Keahuolu Courthouse (Kona) or Hale Kaulike Courthouse (Hilo). For assistance, call 808-322-8700 (Keahuolu) or 808-961-7470 (Hale Kaulike) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The District Courts have jurisdiction over:
- Traffic infractions and violations.
- Offenses classified as violations of state laws or county ordinances.
- Criminal offenses punishable by imprisonment not exceeding one year.
- Probable cause hearings for felony cases.
- Civil actions in which the debt, amount, damages, or value of the property claimed does not exceed $40,000 (but no jurisdiction over actions for libel, slander, defamation of character, malicious prosecution, false imprisonment, breach of promise of marriage, or seduction).
- Summary possession (landlord-tenant) actions and related money damages claims and counterclaims, regardless of the amount claimed.
- Ejectment proceedings, where the title to real estate does not come into question.
- Civil cases for specific performance when the fair market value of the performance does not exceed $20,000.
- Small claims cases where the amount claimed does not exceed $5,000.
- Petitions for temporary restraining orders (TROs) and injunctions against harassment involving parties who are not related to each other, and who have never been in a dating relationship.
- Petitions by tenants against landlords for restraining orders against lockout and utility shut-off.
- Appeals from administrative denials of motor vehicle registration.
Locations, Contact Information
The District Courts have courthouses located in rural areas across the State. To find out locations and contact information, please select one of the following:
District Court Judges
District Court Programs
Learn about District Court Programs.
Download and print forms for your case.
Court Filing Fees and Costs
Prepare for Your Case
Go to our Self-Help section for information about:
Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free.