Skip to Main Nav Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Content

Small Claims

Filing a Small Claim

Oahu, Maui County, Hawaii County, and Kauai County

Please Read Carefully

The Hawaii State Judiciary has developed a pilot program for small claims disputes to be resolved online.

In all circuits: First Circuit (Oahu), Second Circuit (Maui County), Third Circuit (Hawaii County), and Fifth 
Circuit (Kauai County) Online Dispute Resolution is required for the following:

  • Individuals who are not represented by an attorney. These individuals are sometimes called Self-Represented Litigants or pro se parties.
  • An individual involved in a dispute with only one other person and all parties are not represented by an attorney. For example, Party A (one person) files a complaint against Party B (another person).
  • Multi-Party individuals are involved in a dispute and all parties are not represented by an attorney. For example, Party A and B (co-plaintiffs) file a complaint against Party C and D (co-defendants).
  • This pilot program does not apply to businesses.

If you meet the above requirements, please visit our Online Dispute Resolution page to file your claim.

If you have any questions about filing Small Claims cases, call the following numbers:


  • District Court Service Center: 808-538-5629

Maui County

  • Second Circuit Help Line: 808-244-2998

Hawaii County

  • Hilo: 808-961-7515
  • Kona: 808-322-8703
  • South Kohala: 808-443-2030

Kauai County

  • Fifth Circuit Help Line: 808-482-2303

Small Claims Brochure

The brochure, Your Guide to Small Claims Court (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free), provides answers to common questions.

Your Guide to Small Claims Court Brochures:

Small Claims forms are available at Honolulu District Court or via this website.

The Small Claims Court is the division of District Court that handles certain disputes between two or more parties. These cases are decided by a judge in an informal manner.

The Small Claims Court hears your case if:

  • The amount disputed doesn’t exceed $5,000. Or, in a counterclaim, no more than $40,000 is requested. Claims up to $40,000 are heard by the Regular Claims Division.
  • You seek a return of a residential security deposit from your landlord.
  • You seek the return of leased or rented personal property, where the property is worth less than $5,000 where the amount claimed owed for that lease or rental is less than $5,000 exclusive of interest and costs.
  • You seek to recover damages or repossess items stolen from your business property. Examples of such items include shopping carts, shopping baskets or other similar devices.

Online resources:

At the courthouse:

Service Centers and Access to Justice Rooms locations, hours, and telephone numbers