Civil JEFS Info
October 7: District Court Civil is live
October 28: Circuit Court Civil is live
November 18: Land Court and Tax Appeal Court is live
- Improper use of the Judiciary Electronic Filing and Service System to gain access to confidential records or records filed under seal or in-camera may subject the user to sanctions.
- For DC Civil filings, include a proposed cover sheet when efiling documents that need to be signed by a judge–e.g., Judgment, Judgment for Possession, Writ of Possession, Garnishee Order. Court-form Ex Parte Motions and Non-Hearing Motions can be efiled without a cover sheet, the motion itself is the cover sheet for the internal Order that will be printed, signed by a judge, then efiled by court staff.
See FAQ #39 regarding Ex Parte Motions. If there are many/large exhibits, efile them separately.
- Help Line information is posted in the JEFS HELP section of the Efiling page.
New or updated resources:
- Civil JEFS FAQ (2/14/20)
- Q12 added – How long are cases available in JEFS?
- Case availability in My Cases/All Firm Cases in JEFS (1/28/20)
- JEFS Updates (1/28/2020) – Fixes and enhancements
- JEFS Firm and Organization Administrator Information
Civil JEFS in-person/Webex training are now complete. If you missed the training sessions or want to review them, you may watch the videos (see below):
Level I. JEFS 101 Overview Videos
If you do not currently use JEFS (Judiciary Electronic Filing and Service System) for electronic filing, we recommend you watch the following videos before the Civil JEFS training videos:
Level II. Civil JEFS Training Presentations
Level II. Civil JEFS Training Videos
Note: In reference to “State of Hawaii agencies” in the video, this is regarding Approved Government Agency Partners (HEFSR Rule 4).
- Create Case
- Submit Filing on an Existing Case
- Manage Cases
- Manage Payments
- User Administration
- Document Subscription
ACTIVATE your new JEFS User ID – Please contact your Organization Administration or your Circuit Helpline for help with activating your WEBU ID.
Case IDs format
Civil Filing Fees (9/12/19)
Civil Docket Codes with Category (10/2/19)
Conventional Service for non-JEFS Users
Civil Administrative Judge Jeannette Castagnetti Memorandum to Members of the Hawaiʻi Bar, All First Circuit Court Users and Practitioners, requiring the filing party of any proposed order, decree, or judgment subsequently approved and electronically filed by the court to conventionally serve non-JEFS User unrepresented parties (12/2/19)
Guide to Working with PDF Files (9/30/19)
How to Add Attorney to Existing Case (10/29/19)
How to submit a proposed order for signature in JEFS for Circuit Court Civil (12/3/19)
JEFS System User Manual (9/10/19)
JIMS JEFS Handout (distributed at Bench Bar Conference 10/11/19)
October HBJ e-Journal (Civil JEFS article)
Purchasing documents on eCourt Kokua (including certified copies) (12/5/19)
Quick Guide to JEFS Resources
Summons & Subpoena Forms (10/31/19): Contact legal docs or your Circuit divisions for pre-signed forms. Forms notated with 10/19 date have been updated and are available on the Judiciary’s website under Self Help Court Forms for each Circuit.
JEFS User Guides for attorneys:
Hawaii Electronic Filing and Service Rules
Other civil-related court rules changes are summarized in the JEFS User Guides for attorneys
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, and other applicable state and federal laws, if you require an accommodation for a disability when working with a court program, service, or activity, please contact the Office on Equality and Access to the Courts at 808-539-4860 or via email at email@example.com at least 10 working days before the activity date.