Skip to Main Nav Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Content

Crime Victim Compensation

The Crime Victim Compensation Commission was established on July 1, 1967 and is governed by Chapter 351 of the Hawai`i Revised Statutes. For certain crimes, the Commission provides compensation to victims, surviving family member of a deceased victim, and private citizens who have suffered personal injury or property damage in the prevention of a crime or the apprehension of a criminal.

You may be eligible for compensation if you are the victim or surviving family member of a victim of one of the following crimes that occurred in the jurisdiction of Hawaii:

  • Murder I or II
  • Manslaughter
  • Negligent Homicide I or II
  • Negligent Injury I or II
  • Assault I, II or III
  • Sexual Assault I, II, III or IV
  • Kidnapping
  • Abuse of a Family or Household Member
  • International Terrorism (a Hawai`i resident who is a victim of international terrorism)

Qualifying Criteria for Compensation

An arrest must have been made or the crime must have been reported to law enforcement officials (police, naval investigative service, military police or Federal Bureau of Investigation) without undue delay, and you must qualify as one the persons described below.

  • A victim who was injured as a result of the crime
  • A person responsible for the maintenance of the victim who has suffered monetary loss because of the victim’s death or injury.
  • A person engaged in business or educational activity at the scene of a mass casualty (mental health counseling expenses only).
  • A relative of a deceased victim who has incurred medical or funeral expenses as the result of the victim’s death or injury.
  • A dependent of a deceased victim.

Applying for Compensation

If you wish to seek compensation, you must file an application with the Crime Victim Compensation Commission within 18 months after the date of injury, death, or property damage. Late applications will only be accepted for good cause.

Applications may be downloaded at

You may request an application from the Commission office at (808) 587-1143 or send an email to

If you have any other questions please contact the Commission at (808) 587-1143 (O`ahu) or from the neighbor islands call toll free:

Hawai`i County: (808) 974-4000, ext. 71143

Kaua`I County: (808) 274-3141, ext. 71143

Maui County: (808) 984-2400, ext. 71143

Moloka`i/Lana`i: 1-800-468-4644, ext. 71143