Skip to Main Nav Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Content

What to Do if Your Protective Order Is Violated

If you have been granted a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) by a Family Court judge or a District Court judge, the Court has ordered your abuser (the respondent of the TRO) to abide by the conditions set out in the TRO.

Violating a court order is called contempt of court and is a misdemeanor criminal offense. Violations can include:

  • Harassing you by phone.
  • Visiting your home or workplace.
  • Destroying property.
  • Threatening to hurt you or others.
  • Taking the children.
  • Physical abuse.

Check your TRO for specific court orders that the respondent must adhere to. For the duration of the TRO, do not contact the respondent. Should the respondent violate the TRO, police and judges may take your report less seriously if you have invited contact. It is important that you know the steps in reporting a violation.

Keep a copy of your TRO with you at all times.