Skip to Main Nav Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Content

Documenting the Violation

When the police can verify that a temporary restraining order (TRO) is in effect, they will be able to make an arrest if the respondent is on or near the premises. Police officers must complete a written report, even if the respondent is not arrested. If officers refuse to write a report, take one of the following actions:

  • Ask the police officers to call and connect you with a Police Department supervisor, or
  • Call 911 and talk with a supervisor yourself while the officers are on the scene, or
  • File a complaint about non-compliant police officers by calling the Captain of the Police Department district in which the incident occurred, or
  • Call Domestic Violence Clearinghouse and Legal Hotline

Even when the police have documented the violation, you should keep your personal record of the incident, including date, time, location and how the TRO was violated. Be sure to get the police officers’ names, badge numbers and the police report number.

After the arrest, the violator is taken to the police station and held in jail.