Skip to Main Nav Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Content

Requesting a Family Court Protective Order

You may request a Family Court temporary restraining order (TRO) if the person engaging in domestic abuse is a family or household member.

Domestic abuse is defined, as follows:

  • Physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or the threat of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, or assault, extreme psychological abuse or malicious property damage; or
  • Any act that would constitute abuse or a family or household member, a sex offense, or a child abuse offense committed by an adult family or household member against a minor family of household member pursuant to Hawai`i Revised Statutes section 709-906, or under part V or VI of chapter 707.

Family or household members means, as follows:

  • Current or former spouse or reciprocal beneficiary;
  • Persons who have a child in common;
  • Parents;
  • Children;
  • Blood-related family members;
  • Persons currently or formerly in a dating relationship; or
  • Persons currently or formerly residing together (but “residing together” does not include those persons who are, or were, adult roommates or cohabitants only because of an economic or contractual affiliation).

(See District Court Protective Orders for other cases.)

Call the Family Court TRO Unit and be prepared to briefly provide details about the domestic abuse.

  • Oahu – (808) 538-5959
  • Maui – (808) 244-2706
  • Hawaii – (808) 969-7798
  • Kauai – (808) 482-2330

Call hours: 7:45 a.m. through 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays.

The TRO Court Officer will assist you in preparing the TRO documents to be submitted to the Family Court Judge for review.
You will not see a Judge on the same day your petition is filed.
The Family Court Judge will review the TRO petition documents and either grant or deny your petition.

The application process may take up to 2 hours for you to complete your petition.  Please arrange for child care, if necessary.

If the TRO is granted by the judge, keep a copy of your TRO with you at all times and report any violations to the police department immediately by calling 911.


For people wishing to file in Honolulu, the location for filing is at the Circuit Court building on Punchbowl Street and Pohukaina Street.  There is usually available parking at the Circuit Court parking garage (Pohukaina St. entrance). The court does not validate parking.

If submitting your documents at the Family Court in Kapolei, there is metered parking available. The meters only take quarters and have a two hour limit so you will need to feed the meter again if you stay longer.  For neighbor island applicants, please check with your respective court.