Requesting a District Court Protective Order
You may request a District Court temporary restraining order (TRO) if the person harassing or abusing you:
- Is not someone to whom you are married or were married.
- Is not a relative.
- Has never lived with you.
- Is not someone with whom you had a child.
- Is not and never was a dating partner.
(Otherwise, see Family Court Protective Orders.)
Please apply at the following locations:
- O`ahu – Honolulu District Court, Regular Claims Division, located at 1111 Alakea Street, third floor, (808) 538-5151
- Maui – Service Center, located at 2145 Main Street, room 141A, (808) 244-2706
- Hawai`i – Administration and Services Section, 777 Kilauea Avenue, Hilo, (808) 961-7430
- Kaua`i – Civil Division, located at 3970 Kaana Street, Room A-105, Window 3 (808) 482-2303
Hours: 7:45 a.m. through 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays. No appointment is necessary.
Note: Kaua`i window service hours are: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. No appointment is necessary.
Bring coins for metered parking or enough money to park in a parking garage. Honolulu District Court applicants can park at Ali`i Place (1099 Alakea Street) across the street from the court building at reasonable public rates. It takes about two hours to get a TRO.
Applying for Your TRO
Be prepared to go through the filing process.