Skip to Content

Effective Dec. 1, all hearings originally scheduled for South Kohala District Court will be held at the Keahuolu Courthouse (Kona) or Hale Kaulike Courthouse (Hilo). For assistance, call 808-322-8700 (Keahuolu) or 808-961-7470 (Hale Kaulike) or email:

Requesting a District Court Protective Order

You may request a District Court temporary restraining order (TRO) if the person harassing or abusing you:

  • Is not someone to whom you are married or were married.
  • Is not a relative.
  • Has never lived with you.
  • Is not someone with whom you had a child.
  • Is not and never was a dating partner.

(Otherwise, see Family Court Protective Orders.)

Please apply at the following locations:

  • O`ahu – Honolulu District Court, Regular Claims Division, located at 1111 Alakea Street, third floor, (808) 538-5151
  • Maui – Service Center, located at 2145 Main Street, room 141A, (808) 244-2706
  • Hawai`i – Administration and Services Section, 777 Kilauea Avenue, Hilo, (808) 961-7430
  • Kaua`i – Civil Division, located at 3970 Kaana Street, Room A-105, Window 3 (808) 482-2303

Hours: 7:45 a.m. through 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays. No appointment is necessary.
Note:  Kaua`i window service hours are: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. No appointment is necessary.


Bring coins for metered parking or enough money to park in a parking garage. Honolulu District Court applicants can park at Ali`i Place (1099 Alakea Street) across the street from the court building at reasonable public rates. It takes about two hours to get a TRO.

Applying for Your TRO

Be prepared to go through the filing process.