Skip to Content

Exempt Employment Opportunities

Exempt (non-civil service) appointments are made outside the civil service process. Civil service recruitment procedures do not apply, however, public employment and Judiciary employment requirements must be met. All positions and persons in the exempt service are excluded from the requirements of selection by merit competition and from civil service status. Exempt (non-civil service) appointments are considered “at-will,” which means that the hiring authority may terminate the employment relationship at any time.

If you are currently a regular (permanent) civil service employee with the Hawaii State Judiciary and accept a temporary exempt (non-civil service) appointment, you may be required to relinquish your civil service status and all employment rights and privileges of a regular civil service employee. 


Judicial Assistant I (Lautenberg), Third Circuit Court, 4th Division, Kona, Hawai`i.

Anticipated Start Date: May 1, 2021

Salary: $4,509 per month

Click here to view job duties, requirements & how to apply.

Recruitment will be conducted until the position is filled.


DUI Adjudicator

Exempt Appointment (Non-Civil Service), SR-26, $5,600 per month, Honolulu, Hawaii

Click here to view job duties and requirements

How to Apply:

If you are interested in this position, please submit a current resume and cover letter to:



Mail to:
Hawaii State Judiciary
Administrative Driver’s License Revocation Office
American Savings Bank Tower
1001 Bishop Street, Suite 500
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813

Recruitment will be conducted until the position is filled.


Law Clerk (Lautenberg), $5,167 per month, First Circuit Court, Honolulu

How to Apply:  Submit your resume and writing sample by email to  

Resumes are being accepted for possible referral to current and future exempt Law Clerk position(s) located in the First Circuit Court, Honolulu. 


Law Clerks

Law clerks work directly with a judge or justice and are exempt from civil service. Each judge or justice personally hires his or her law clerk(s). Generally, law clerk applicants should submit a cover letter along with a resume. However, the judge or justice may have additional application requirements, such as writing samples, law school transcripts or recommendation letters. Therefore, applicants should contact the respective judge or justice’s office directly.