We will continue to update this page as new developments arise.
The Hawaii State Judiciary is focused on ensuring the safety of all court users and Judiciary personnel in response to the COVID-19 virus. Judiciary representatives are working collaboratively with the Department of Health and other state agencies to ensure our response is timely and appropriate according to the law.
This is a rapidly evolving situation. The Judiciary remains vigilant and continues planning for needed adjustments.
Courthouse and Facility Updates
Courts of Appeal
- COVID-19 Advisory (Aliiolani Hale)
First Circuit (Oahu)
- Circuit Court Filing Window and File Room: 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday except State holidays.
- [Temporary hours] Beginning December 3, 2020: District Court Filing and Services, and bail posting will be accepted at the Legal Documents Branch at the Honolulu District Court third floor: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, except State holidays.
- [Temporary hours] Beginning August 31, 2020: Rural Courts and Traffic Violations Bureau and Fiscal payment counter service hours: 8 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday, except State holidays.
An electronic “Court Document Drop-Off” capability is now available for individuals wanting to submit petitions for temporary restraining orders, file written statements for traffic tickets, ask for license clearances, and other documents in civil cases.
If you are unable to submit documents electronically, then you may file them at the respective District courthouse. For questions about any District Court case on Oahu, please call 808-538-5629 or 808-538-5767.
Family Court questions? Call 808-954-8000 and press:
•2 for cashiers
•3 for Hookele Program (Self-Help Desk)
•4 for information on court hearings, calendar clerks, and court clerks
•5 for juvenile matters – child welfare cases, juvenile (law violations) cases
•6 for Family Court Legal Documents
•7 for Legal Research and Adoptions Unit
•8 for TRO Hotline
•9 for Waianae District Court
If you have a question about a hearing or motion, be prepared to provide your case identification number. If your question is about child support, child custody, and visitation, please tell the staff whether it’s a divorce case or paternity case.
Second Circuit (Maui) – See emergency Orders below.
Third Circuit (Hawaii)
Temporary Hours of Operation
Beginning October 5, 2020: All Third Circuit (Hawaii Island) courthouse Legal Documents, Traffic Violations, and Fiscal “counter” and phone service hours will be from 7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday, except State holidays.
• A “drop box” for Circuit, Family, and District court filings is available in the lobby of each courthouse.
• A payment “drop box” (with envelopes) will be available in the lobby of each courthouse.
• To file a Family Court TRO (temporary restraining order), please contact Child and Family Services at 808-935-2188 (Hilo, South Kohala) or 808-323-2664 (Kona).
• To file a District Court TRO (temporary restraining order), forms are available on the Judiciary’s website at www.courts.state.hi.us and in each courthouse lobby.
• Bail will continue to be accepted and processed at the court Monday to Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Fifth Circuit (Kauai)
Legal Documents (808-482-2330)
Traffic Department (808-482-2355)
Fiscal Office (808-482-2340)
- The Law Library is open Monday-Wednesday-Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, by appointment only. Please call 808-482-2337, if you would like to schedule an appointment to use the Law Library.
- TRO services: Please call YWCA Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline at 808-245-6362 for assistance with filing for a temporary restraining order.
- Self-Help Center assistance available by phone
Fifth Circuit (Kauai) Court Directory: 808-482-2300
- Adult probation – Adult Client Services: 808-482-2400
- Juvenile family court matters, Juvenile Client and Family Services: 808-482-2350
- Drug Court: 808-482-2363
- Juvenile guardianship, incapacitated individual guardianship, community service call Special Services: 808-482-2570
- Driver’s Education: 808-482-2383
- Office of the Public Guardian: 808-482-2555
- Small Estates and Guardianship: 808-482-2343
- Sheriff’s Department: 808-482-2470
Individuals who are denied entry due to COVID related concerns will need to call 808-482-2308.
Individuals who are denied entry due to travel related concerns will need to call 808-482-2435.
Individuals with an upcoming court date should contact their attorney.
Individuals without an attorney, call before coming to court:
District Court: 808- 482-2645
Circuit Court or Family Court Legal Documents: 808-482-2330
Traffic Department: 808-482-2355
Pay for traffic citations at https://www.courts.state.hi.us/self-help/traffic/the_etraffic_hawaii_website
- NEW! Order Modifying First Extension of Order Postponing Jury Trials (10/15/2021)
- NEW! Order Regarding Judiciary Operations (10/1/2021)
- Fifth Amended Order Regarding Entering Judiciary Facilities (6/15/2021)
Courts of Appeal
- NEW! First Extension of Order Regarding Temporary Suspension of the Time Requirements Under Hawaii Rules of Penal Procedure Rule 5 (c) (3) (First Circuit) (9/30/2021)
- NEW! First Extension of Order Regarding Temporary Suspension of the Time Requirements Under Hawaii Rules of Penal Procedure Rule 5 (c) (3) (Third Circuit) (9/30/2021)
- NEW! Second Extension of Order Regarding Temporary Extension of the Time Requirements Under Hawaii Rules of Penal Procedure Rule 10 (a), (b), and (c) (Circuit Court of the Third Circuit) (9/30/2021)
- NEW! Ninth Extension of Order Regarding Temporary Extension of the Time Requirements under Hawaii Rules of Penal Procedure Rule 10 (a), (b), and (c) (9/30/2021)
- NEW! First Extension of Order Regarding Temporary Modification of Hawaii Rules of Penal Procedure Rule 43 (e) (1) (Fifth Circuit) (10/1/2021)
- Order Further Extending June 5, 2020 Order Temporarily Suspending in Part Hawaii Rules of Penal Procedure Rule 6 (a) (Circuit Court of the First Circuit) (6/24/2021)
- Order Regarding November 2020 Hawaii Professionalism Course (10/2/2020)
- NEW! Fourteenth Amended Emergency Order #2 Regarding First Circuit Criminal Matters (10/19/2021)
- Eleventh Amended Emergency Order #3 Regarding First Circuit Civil Matters (9/9/2021)
- Twentieth Amended Emergency Order #4 Regarding First Circuit Family Court (9/9/2021)
- NEW! Fifteenth Amended Emergency Order #5 Regarding First Circuit District Court (9/30/2021)
- Fourth Amended Emergency Order Regarding Summary Possession and Ejectment Cases Filed with the First Circuit District Court (8/3/2021)
- Order of Correction; Exhibit 4; Fourth Amended Emergency Order Regarding Summary Possession and Ejectment Cases Filed with the First Circuit District Court (8/4/2021)
- Order of Correction: Page 6: Replace Kaneohe A with Kaneohe Summary Possession and Ejectment Cases (8/6/2021)
- First Amended Emergency Order #1 Regarding First Circuit Probate Calendar (6/9/2021)
- Amended Emergency Order #9 Regarding First Circuit Foreclosure Cases (4/13/2021)
- Seventh Amended Emergency Order #6 Regarding First Circuit Land and Tax Appeals Court (12/14/2020)
- NEW! Emergency Order #22 Regarding Temporary Suspension of Travel to Lanai and Molokai for Second Circuit District Court (9/29/2021)
- NEW! Emergency Order #21 Temporarily Suspending In Person Travel to Lanai and Molokai for Second Circuit Family Court (9/29/2021)
- Emergency Order #18 Regarding District Court (7/30/2021)
- Emergency Order #15 Regarding Circuit Court of the Second Circuit (3/14/2021)
- NEW! Eighth Amended Emergency Order #2 Regarding Third Circuit Criminal Matters (9/30/2021)
- NEW! Seventh Amended Emergency Order #5 Regarding Third Circuit District Court (9/30/2021)
- First Emergency Order Regarding Evictions Third Circuit District Court (3/12/2021)
- Third Amended Emergency Order #1 Regarding Third Circuit Probate Calendar (9/17/2020)
- Fifth Amended Emergency Order #3 Regarding Third Circuit Civil Matters (9/15/2020)
- Seventh Amended Emergency Order #4 Regarding Third Circuit Family Court (9/15/2020)
- First Amended Emergency Order #6 Regarding Entry into Third Circuit District, Family, and Circuit Courts (1/21/2021)
- First Amended Emergency Order #6 Regarding Foreclosure Cases Filed in Third Circuit Court (6/4/2021)
- Emergency Order #8 Regarding the Assignment of Permanent Zoom Video Conference ID’S (5/21/2021)
- Fifth Emergency Order #1 Regarding Fifth Circuit Court Criminal Matters (9/9/2020)
- Fifth Emergency Order #2 Regarding Fifth Circuit Civil Matters(9/9/2020)
- Order Regarding Fifth Circuit Family Court Reopening (5/29/2020)
- Order Regarding Fifth Circuit District Court Reopening (5/29/2020)
For Self-Represented Litigants
Statewide Court Self-Help Centers and Access to Justice Room – Help by Telephone Available
Volunteer attorneys are available by phone on certain days of the week. Go to the Self-Help Centers page for details. Other resources for qualifying individuals:
- The Legal Aid Intake Hotline will be available at its normal hours, Monday – Friday from 9 – 11:30 a.m. and from 1 – 3:30 p.m. Those needing legal help or have a legal issue due to the impact of COVID-19 should call 808-536-4302 (Oahu) and 1-800-499-4302 (Neighbor Islands).
- Hawaii Online Pro Bono (HOP): https://hawaii.freelegalanswers.org/
ABA Free Legal Answers is an online legal advice clinic for qualifying users to post civil legal questions at no cost. Volunteer Attorneys will respond via online.
- Law Help: https://www.lawhelp.org/hi/
Legal informational brochures, videos and online court forms for family, housing and other civil legal problems.
COVID-19 information in various languages may be found on the Judiciary’s language-specific pages by clicking on the language needed on the left side bar of this page.
The Office of Language Access (OLA) has translated COVID-19 materials from the Hawaii Department of Health and other agencies into multiple languages. Those materials can be found on OLA’s website at: