Hawaii Supreme Court Law Library Now Open by Appointment OnlyPosted on Aug 3, 2020 in Featured News, News & Reports
After a brief reduction of in-person services due to COVID-19, the Hawaii Supreme Court Law Library has reopened to the public, by appointment only. Appointments times are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Here are the library’s new procedures and guidelines to keep you safe:
1. Please call (808) 539-4964 to make a reservation.
2. Visits are limited to one hour only, as a courtesy to others.
3. Face coverings are required for entry into any Judiciary facility.
4. Enter Aliiolani Hale on the Punchbowl Street side of the building. Unarmed members of the National Guard will be on site to perform health and temperature checks.
5. Social distancing of six feet or more must be adhered to at all times in the library.
6. Hand sanitizer and/or gloves are required for handling of library materials.
7. All payments for library services must be made with a check or exact change. Note: No change will be given for cash payments, please plan ahead and bring appropriate bills and coins.
8. Patrons are asked to please be mindful of their appointment time. No early entry or overtime will be allowed.
To help you get the most out of your visit, library staff will conduct a brief survey when making appointments to assess what services and/or resources you will need. Staff will also advise you of any materials to bring, and if possible, will provide an estimate of fees or costs.
“We are happy to announce our appointment-based reopening,” said State Law Librarian Jenny R.F.F. Silbiger. “Because we expect to see high demand for appointments, the library’s new remote services are still available to everyone, and we encourage patrons to continue to use these resources whenever possible.”
Remote services include:
• The Virtual Reference Desk
• LiveChat available Monday – Friday, 1 to 3 p.m. HST. (The public can ask legal information questions directly to a law librarian.)
• Remote Patron Access to LexisNexis®, Westlaw, ebooks
• Family Law Limited Legal Advice via the Remote Access to Justice Room (Video and/or phone appointments are available on the first and third Thursdays of the month. Call (808) 954-8290 for an appointment).
For more information on each service see: