Maui Wildfire Disaster Recovery
The wildfires on Maui in early August 2023 were devastating and the Judiciary is committed to doing our part to support recovery efforts. On this page you’ll find information on legal resources, notices and news from the Judiciary, and court orders related to the fires. This page will be updated as necessary.
Notices and News
Foreclosure Protections for Borrowers in Maui County (11/2/2023)
According to the Federal Housing Administration news release issued Nov. 2, 2023:
“For borrowers whose homes are destroyed or damaged to an extent that requires reconstruction or complete replacement, contact an FHA-approved lender about FHA’s Section 203(h) Mortgage Insurance for Disaster Victims program. This program provides FHA insurance to disaster victims who may be eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs.
“For borrowers seeking to purchase and/or repair a home that has been damaged, contact an FHA-approved lender about FHA’s Section 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance program. This program allows individuals to finance the purchase or refinance of a house along with its repair, through a single mortgage. Homeowners can also finance the rehabilitation of their existing homes if damaged.”
Read the entire news release here.
Chief Justice Orders
- In re August 2023 Hawaiʻi Fire Disaster (11/6/2023)
- In re August 2023 Hawaiʻi Fire Disaster (9/19/2023)
- In re August 2023 Hawaiʻi Fire Disaster (8/25/2023)
- In re Lahaina District Court in the Second Circuit (8/11/2023)
- In re Closing of the Lahaina District Court in the Second Circuit on Thursday, August 10 and Friday, August 11, 2023 (8/9/2023)
- In re Closing of the Lahaina District Court in the Second Circuit on Wednesday, August 9, 2023 (8/9/2023)
Second Circuit Orders
- Emergency Order No. 1 Regarding Maui Fire – Probate Cases (9/27/2023)
- Emergency Order No. 2 Regarding Lahaina District Court (8/29/2023)
- Emergency Order No. 1 Regarding Lahaina District Court (8/16/2023)
First Circuit Orders