Judicial Selection Commission Press Release – Associate Judge, Intermediate Court of Appeals Nominees (Release Date: 03/17/2023)Posted on Mar 17, 2023 in JSC Press Releases, Judicial Selection Commission
Under the Constitution of the State of Hawaiʻi, Article VI, Appointment of Justices and Judges, Section 3: “The governor, with the consent of the senate, shall fill a vacancy in the office of the chief justice, supreme court, intermediate appellate court and circuit courts, by appointing a person from a list of not less than four, and not more than six, nominees for the vacancy, presented to the governor by the judicial selection commission.”
The Judicial Selection Commission is pleased to announce a list of nominees for the new judicial office of Associate Judge, Intermediate Court of Appeals, State of Hawaiʻi formed by the 2022 Legislature under Act 90, Session Laws of Hawaiʻi
The list of nominees selected by the Commission to fill the judicial office of Associate Judge of the Intermediate Court of Appeals are listed as follows in alphabetical order:
- Lance D. Collins
- Rebecca A. Copeland
- Kimberly Tsumoto Guidry
- Deirdre Marie-Iha
- Taryn R. Tomasa Gifford
The Governor has 30 days from his receipt of the list today to make his appointment.
- Total Applicants: 7; 4 Females; 3 Males
- First Time Applicants: 1
- Government Attorneys: 3
- Private Attorneys: 2
- Judges: 1
- Other: 1
- Per Diem Judges: 1
- Age Range: 0 (31-40); 5 (41-50); 2 (51-60); 0 (61-70)
- Years Licensed Range: 15 years to 25 years
- One applicant withdrew before the Judicial Selection Commission’s request for public comment and before meeting with the Judicial Selection Commission and is not included in the statistics above.
- Ms. Catherine P. Awakuni Colón withdrew her application after the Judicial Selection Commission’s request for public comment but before meeting with the Judicial Selection Commission. Ms. Awakuni Colón is not included in the statistics above.
- Meetings held and decisions made in February 2023 with 8 Commissioners present.