Skip to Main Nav Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Content

18. How do I apply for an employee driver’s permit (EDP)?

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 in

EDPs are very limited.  They only authorize you to drive the specified employer-owned vehicle(s) for work, and nothing else.  They are not issued unless your employer submits a sworn statement on your behalf, and numerous additional restrictions can be placed on EDPs.  If you need to drive a personal vehicle to and from work, you may apply for an ignition interlock permit.

Both you and your employer must submit completed and signed forms to apply for an EDP.  Required forms are available on this website. You do not have to request a hearing to apply for an EDP.  Both form # 2 and form # 2a must be submitted to apply for an EDP.  Failure to submit both forms will result in denial of the EDP.

The EDP can only be granted if  you are employed in a position that requires driving and you will be discharged from employment if you are prohibited from driving an employer-owned vehicle for work. Your employer must submit form #2a, their business card and a copy of the employer-owned motor vehicle registration(s) for the vehicle(s) that you are required to operate.  EDPs will not be issued for any vehicles requiring CDLs or category 4 driver’s licenses.