Skip to Content

Small Claims Online Dispute Resolution Pilot Project

Filing a Small Claim — Oahu or Maui County

Please Read Carefully

The Hawaii State Judiciary has developed a pilot program for small claims disputes to be resolved online. It is called Online Dispute Resolution or ODR.

In the First Circuit (Oahu) and Second Circuit (Maui County), Online Dispute Resolution is now required for the following:

  • Individuals who are not represented by an attorney. (These individuals are sometimes called Self-Represented Litigants or pro se.)
  • An individual (one person) is involved in a dispute with only one other person. For example, Party A (one person) files a claim against Party B (another person).
  • This pilot program does not apply to businesses, anyone represented by an attorney, or cases in which there are multiple individuals involved.


Welcome to the Small Claims Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) page where you can learn how to settle your small claims disputes online without ever stepping inside a courthouse.

The Judiciary developed ODR as a means to improve access to justice for self-represented litigants. Because this is done online, you don’t have to spend time traveling to meetings or court appearances. For some people, this will be a faster and less expensive way to settle disputes. Plus, because it’s available 24/7, you can complete your court forms at a time that is most convenient for you.

What if I don’t have the electronic technology needed to resolve my small claims dispute?

You must submit a request to the court to be permitted to file or respond to a complaint against you in person. You may file this request form at any District courthouse on Oahu.

How do I get started?

Hawaiiʻs ODR systems uses TurboCourt, which guides self-represented litigants like you through personalized questions about your situation, then creates and files the required forms to the court.

First, you must sign up for a TurboCourt account by going to TurboCourt Hawaii.

ODR Resources

Here are some resources to help you through the online dispute resolution process:

What if I have a question about my court case?


First Circuit (Oahu)

  • District Court Service Center: (808) 538-5629

Second Circuit (Maui County)

  • Help Line: (808) 244-2998

What if I need a special accommodation or an interpreter?

If you need an accommodation for a disability when participating in a court program, service, or activity, please contact one of the Disability Accommodations Coordinators as far in advance as possible to allow time to provide an accommodation. You are also welcome to send an e-mail to or complete the Disability Accommodation Request Form. The Disability Accommodations Coordinator will try to provide, but cannot guarantee, the requested auxiliary aid, service, or accommodation.

The TurboCourt program uses Google Translate. Not all languages are supported and the Judiciary does not guarantee the accuracy of the Google translation program. If you need an interpreter, please send an e-mail to You may also call (808) 539-4860.