District Courthouse at Waimea Civic Center Closed Today, June 26
If you need assistance with a court-related matter, please call 808-961-7440 (Hale Kaulike Courthouse in Hilo) or 808-322-8700 (Keakealani Building in Kona). For more information about filings, visit our website.
Plan for Your Safety
A temporary restraining order (TRO), order for protection, or injunction cannot guarantee your safety. Plan very carefully for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.
Here are some safety tips:
- Tell everyone you know that you have a TRO, order for protection, or injunction (your employer, church leader, friends, family and baby-sitter, etc.).
- Change the locks on your doors and windows as soon as possible. Replace wooden doors with steel doors.
- Install security systems if possible. Purchase additional locks, window bars, poles to wedge against doors.
- Install smoke detectors and keep fire extinguishers on every floor. You never know what your abuser might do.
- Install extra outside lighting — include motion-activated lighting.
- Teach your children their name, address, phone number, the phone number of a friend/relative and how to dial 911 in case they are kidnapped by your abuser.
- Make sure everyone who watches your children is informed of who is authorized to pick up your children.
- Inform your baby-sitters of your situation. They have the right to know so they will be better prepared to protect the children in their care.
Keep a copy of your TRO, order for protection, or injunction with you at all times and report violations to the police immediately.
Important Phone Numbers
Get more details about protecting yourself. Call these organizations:
Victim/Witness Assistance Division (City and County of Honolulu Prosecutor’s Office)
Information about criminal prosecution of TRO violations – (808) 768-7401
Domestic Violence Clearinghouse and Legal Hotline – www.stoptheviolence.org
Information about separation, divorce, child custody and other legal issues – (808) 531-3771