9. Do you have any tips for participating in a remote hearing?Posted on Jun 2, 2020 in
Yes, here are some tips on how to make the most of your remote hearing participation:
Before the meeting
- Download the Cisco Webex or Zoom App and test the equipment you plan to use for the video conference at least one day in advance. Make sure your computer or mobile device is fully charged, and that you have a good internet connection.
- Sit in front of a neutral background, such as a wall, in a well-lit area where you won’t be disturbed.
- Dress as you would to appear in court.
- Place your camera at face-height.
- Close all other programs on your computer.
- Use earbuds or headphones, if you can. This improves sound quality.
- If you will be using exhibits:
- Clearly label all documents and send to the court and all parties at least 24 hours before the hearing.
- The Judiciary staff member hosting the meeting will be able to show the document on the screen during the video conference.
During the meeting
- Log in to the meeting at least 10 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Keep your microphone on “mute” when you are not speaking.
- Keep your telephone near you during the meeting in case of technical difficulties, but make sure it is on silent.
- Do not make any recording of the hearing. If you do, the court may sanction you.
- If you need to display an exhibit that you have sent to the court in advance, tell the court: “I would now like to show [exhibit].” The staff member hosting the meeting will show it so all meeting participants can see your exhibit.