Skip to Main Nav Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Content

JIMS/JEFS/eCourt Kokua System Down May 18-19, 2024. Learn more here.

17.3 Can I use my ignition interlock permit to drive in another state if I go back to the mainland?

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 in

Maybe not.  The ignition interlock permit (IIP) issued by the ADLRO is only valid in the state of Hawai’i.  There is no guarantee that another state will accept the Hawai’i IIP to allow you to drive in that state with an ignition interlock device.  Check with the appropriate authorities in your new state to determine if they will accept the Hawai’i IIP.  There is nothing ADLRO can do for you with your new state, other than confirm that you have been issued a valid Hawai’i IIP. 

Note that there is a “stopper” in your record that will prevent you from being able to get relicensed in any state prior to the expiration of your Hawai’i revocation period and completion of all requirements for your Hawai’i revocation (e.g. Driver’s Education).