Courts in the Community
Courts in the Community is the Hawaii Supreme Court’s educational outreach program that gives high school students unique, hands-on experience in how the Hawaii judicial system works.
Under the Courts in the Community program, the full, five-member court travels to Hawaii high schools to hear oral argument in an actual case.
The event begins with remarks welcoming the audience and explaining the format of the proceedings. The court will hear one oral argument during the visit. At the conclusion of the argument, the justices depart the room so that the students may discuss the case with the participating lawyers. The lawyers leave the room at the end of their session and the justices return to answer non-case related questions from the students. A luncheon with the students and members of the bar usually wraps up the activities. The entire visit generally lasts about four to five hours.
Prior to the court convening on a campus, students have the opportunity to learn about the judicial system and the appellate process using a curriculum developed by the Kamehameha V Judiciary History Center and the Students for Public Outreach and Civic Education of the University of Hawaii’s William S. Richardson School of Law. The students also participate in a moot court exercise involving the actual case that will be argued when the court comes to campus. The Hawaii State Bar Association has been providing financial support for students participating in the program. The moot court activity is facilitated by volunteer lawyers or law school students.
Courts in the Community Video
For more information, call Matt Mattice at 808-539-4999 or email him at email@example.com. To request a judge to speak to students in your class, call David Cypriano at 808-539-4999 or email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Courts in the Community Hearing Schedule
No. SCAP-16-0000837, Thursday, December 14, 2017, 10 a.m.
CC, Petitioner-Appellant, vs. DD and CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, STATE OF HAWAIʻI, Defendants-Appellees.
The above-captioned case has been set for argument on the merits at:
Castle Performing Arts Center
Ronald E. Bright Theatre
45-386 Kaneohe Bay Drive
Kaneohe, HI 96744
- Courts in the Community: Hawaii Supreme Court Holds Oral Argument at the University of Hawaii at Hilo, November 9, 2017
- Hawaii Supreme Court Holds Oral Argument at Baldwin High School on Maui, April 2017
- Hawaii Supreme Court Holds Oral Argument at McKinley, October 2016
- Hawaii Supreme Court Takes Oral Argument To Waianae, December 2015
- Hawaii Supreme Court Takes Oral Argument to Kauai, April 2015
- Hawaii Supreme Court takes Oral Argument to Mililani High School, December 2014
- Hawaii Supreme Court Takes Oral Argument to Big Island, April 2014
- Hawaii Supreme Court Convened at UH Hilo, December 2013
- Baldwin High School (Maui), December 2012
- Hawaii Supreme Court Convenes at Farrington, February 2012