Judiciary Language Assistance Policy

A Message From Chief Justice Mark E. Recktenwald:

The Judiciary has long recognized that many people who come before the courts, or receive Judiciary services, may not be able to meaningfully participate due to limited English proficiency (LEP) or speech or hearing impairments. We have dedicated many resources over the last several years to enhancing language access services for LEP court customers. We are proud of the accomplishments we have achieved in providing such services -- including providing court interpreters for all defendants, parties, and witnesses in all case types and providing language services at all points of contact with the Judiciary, including over-the-counter and over-the-telephone encounters. Much of our success is attributable to the time and care Judiciary employees and volunteers provide LEP customers. The Judiciary's commitment to serving LEP customers is set forth in the following policy:

Judiciary Policy #12

The Hawai`i State Judiciary is committed to providing meaningful access to court processes and services to persons with limited English proficiency. In all case types, the Judiciary shall reasonably provide, free of charge, and in a timely manner, competent court interpreters for parties, witnesses and individuals with a substantial interest in a case. It shall also provide language assistance services at points of contact with the Judiciary, including over-the-counter and over-the-telephone encounters for all Judiciary-related business. The Judiciary shall notify the public of the Judiciary's language assistance commitment.

Language Access Services

The following materials are available on a trial basis. Additional materials and additional languages may follow in the future within the limits of Court resources in the interest of enhancing public access. For more information about language services, contact:


You have the right to an interpreter at no cost to you.

Language ID Card
Print this card and show it to Judiciary staff when you come to court.

How to Request an Interpreter
English | Kapasen Chuuk (Chuukese) | Ilokano (Ilokano) |
한국어 (Korean) | Kajin Majôl (Marshallese) |
Español (Spanish)
| Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)

How to Request a Sign Language Interpreter

How to Use A Court Interpreter 
[English, Kapasen Chuuk (Chuukese), Ilokano, 日本語 (Japanese),
한국어 (Korean), Kajin Majôl (Marshallese), Español (Spanish),
Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)]

Tips on Going to Court

Self-Help Centers

How to Become a Court Interpreter

Additional Language Access Assistance Links:

For more information, see the Judiciary's Language Access Plan.

Contact Information:

Office on Equality and Access to the Courts
Hawai`i State Judiciary
426 Queen Street, Room B17
Honolulu, HI 96813-2914
Phone: (808) 539-4860
Facsimile: (808) 539-4203
E-mail: OEAC@courts.hawaii.gov

Language Access Services Home

廣東話 / 广东话 | Cantonese

Kapasen Chuuk | Chuukese

Ilokano | Ilokano

日本語 | Japanese

한국어 | Korean

Kosrae | Kosraean

國語 / 普通话 | Mandarin

Kajin Majôl | Marshallese

Pohnpei | Pohnpeian

Gagana Samoa | Samoan

Español | Spanish

Tagalog | Tagalog

Lea faka-Tonga | Tongan

Tiếng Việt | Vietnamese

Increase text sizeDecrease text sizePrint this page

© 2008 Hawaii State Judiciary. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  Accessibility Information

HIC logo