Alternative Dispute Resolution

What is Alternative Dispute Resolution?

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) describes processes that offer alternatives to litigation (filing and proceeding with a lawsuit), and provides opportunities for early, party-driven and fair resolution of conflicts. Methods include, but are not limited to, mediation, arbitration, fact-finding, consensus-building, early neutral evaluation, and settlement conferences. The purpose of ADR is to facilitate settlements and agreements on issues defined by the parties.


How can ADR help in my case?

It may:

  • Produce greater satisfaction with results
  • Create more flexibility, control and participation
  • Lead to a better understanding of the case
  • Improve case management
  • Reduce communication barriers


How do I find ADR services?

  • Community mediation centers offer mediation services by trained mediators statewide to assist in helping in the resolution of various types of disputes.
  • Private mediators, facilitators, and arbitrators are available throughout the state.


About the Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution

The Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution (Center) is dedicated to making ADR processes broadly available to Hawaii citizens and agencies of state and local government.

Learn more about the Center

Contact the Center



Why does the Court offer ADR?

A message from the Chief Justice.


Frequently Asked Questions


Volunteer Settlement Master Process

The VSM process may help you settle your divorce disputes.


Kauai Contested Divorce Mediation


Foreclosure Mediation Pilot Project


Brochures, Newsletters, and Other Publications



Updates and Upcoming Events

Free public forum and brown bag lunch, "Defuse Conflict with Nonviolent Communication." This event will be held at Aliiolani Hale in the Multi-Purpose Room 101 on February 10, 2015, from Noon to 1:00 p.m. View the forum flyer for details.

Check out CADR's January 2015 edition of the ADR Times, which includes an article on "Negotiating the Rebuilding of the World Trade Center - Part I: Property Control."

Human interaction has changed. In the not so distant past, children created games and stories, face to face...Read more about "Preserving the Art of Conversation" in the December 2014 ADR Times.

CADR 2014 Annual Report


Some files require Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free. Please use a recent version of Acrobat Reader.

Increase text sizeDecrease text sizePrint this page

© 2008 Hawaii State Judiciary. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  Accessibility Information

HIC logo