Traffic Cases

Most traffic cases in Hawai`i begin when a law enforcement officer issues a citation, commonly called a "traffic ticket."The citation, which is filed with a state court, charges a motorist, pedestrian, or the registerd owner of a parked vehicle (the defendant) with committing a traffic offense and requires the defendant to respond to the allegations in the citation.

For more serious traffic offenses where the defendant is physically arrested and taken into police custody, the defendant's court case begins when a prosecutor orally charges the defendant in court or files a written complaint or information against the defendant, or when a grand jury returns an indictment charging the defendant with committing a traffic crime.

Increase text sizeDecrease text sizePrint this page

© 2008 Hawaii State Judiciary. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  Accessibility Information

HIC logo