Requesting a Family Court Protective Order

You may request a Family Court temporary restraining order (TRO) if the person harassing or abusing you:

  • Is someone you are married to or were married to.
  • Is a family member.
  • Lives or had lived with you.
  • Is someone with whom you had a child.
  • Is or was in a dating relationship with you.

(See District Court Protective Orders for other cases.)

Call the Adult Client Services Branch of Family Court (ACSB) and be prepared to briefly provide details about the abuse. This includes physical and psychological abuse, verbal threats and property damage.

  • O`ahu - (808) 538-5959
  • Maui - (808) 244-2706
  • Hawai`i - (808) 969-7798
  • Kaua`i - (808) 482-2330

Call hours: 7:45 a.m. through 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays.

After the ACSB worker receives information about your abuse and the person against whom you are filing charges, you will be scheduled for an appointment at the Family Court. During this appointment, your request for the TRO will be filed for the judge's review.

The application process takes up to 2 hours for Petitioners to complete their petitions. Petitioners are then asked to return at 2:00 p.m. to pick up their TRO documents. Please arrange for child care, if necessary.


For Honolulu applicants, there is usually available parking at the Circuit Court parking garage (Pohukaina St. entrance). ACSB does not validate. For neighbor island arrangements, please check with your respective court.

Increase text sizeDecrease text sizePrint this page

© 2008 Hawaii State Judiciary. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  Accessibility Information

HIC logo