Landlord-tenant Claims

As a landlord or tenant, it is important that you understand your rights and responsibilities. They relate to security deposits, repairs, termination of tenancy and other aspects of a rental property agreement.

If you feel the other party is violating the Hawai`i Landlord-tenant Code or your lease agreement terms, you may take legal action to resolve your case. Residential landlord-tenant cases are filed in the District Court.

In this section, we provide you with information about landlord-tenant conduct and how you can proceed with your legal matter.


Hawai`i Landlord-tenant Handbook

Get a copy of the handbook and answers to more questions at the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs website.

Getting Legal Help

This information is not a substitute for legal counsel or legal advice. If you need legal help, please consult an attorney.


You can settle your disagreement without going to court and without using lawyers through mediation.

Increase text sizeDecrease text sizePrint this page

© 2008 Hawaii State Judiciary. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  Accessibility Information

HIC logo