Facts about Getting a Divorce in Hawai`i
Here are some facts about getting a divorce in Hawai`i:
- In Hawai`i, Family Court hears all divorces.
- You can get a divorce even if your spouse does not want a divorce.
- You do not have to state a reason for wanting a divorce.
- You can get divorced in Hawai`i even if you were married in another state or another country.
- Before petitioning for a divorce, you must live in Hawai`i for six months. This applies to military personnel stationed in Hawai`i as well as legal residents of another state or country.
- You do not have to hire a lawyer, although having one is very helpful.
- A divorce usually takes several months. If the couple disagrees on who will have custody of the child or children or how to divide the joint property, the case will take longer.
- If you are an alien on conditional status and married to a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident, a divorce may affect your immigration status. You should consult with an immigration attorney before filing for divorce.