Welcome to the Hawai`i bar application website. If you are interested in applying for the Hawai`i bar, please read the information below.
Examination Dates & Application Deadlines
If you want to sit for the:
- February examination, the application must be submitted by November. 1.
- July examination, the application must be submitted by April 1.
Bar examinations are given on Tuesday and Wednesday during the week of the last Wednesday of February and July.
- Effective February 2014, the bar examination fee will be $500.00. Fees will not be transferred or refunded. If you wish to pay on-line by credit card please have your credit card ready. After you select “Pay” you will be required to enter your payment information.
- You will be required to pay a fee to the National Conference of Bar Examiners when you complete and submit your NCBE HAWAII Character and Fitness Application.
- A laptop user fee will be assessed by ExamSoft
- Review the Hawaii Bar Application instructions. You are required to submit a copy of the NCBE HAWAII Character and Fitness Application with your Hawaii Bar Application.
- In preparing for the Hawaii Bar Application, read the Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii, Rule 1 with particular attention to Rule 1.3 and the Hawaii Board of Bar Examiners Rules of Procedure
- The applicant is responsible for submitting a complete application. Incomplete applications may be rejected. The applicant must:
- Review the application and forms to determine the attachments needed. Be aware of the dated material requirements.
- Assemble the required forms and attachments as Adobe PDF files (for electronic applications) or paper copies (for paper applications),
- Submit the forms and attachments with the application or as otherwise instructed.
The Hawaii Board of Examiners recommends for admission to the bar individuals who have demonstrated minimum competency and requisite character. The Board may recommend for admission only applicants who have proven a record of conduct that will justify the trust of clients, adversaries, courts, and others with respect to professional responsibilities. See, e.g., Rule 1.3 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii and In re W.D.P., 104 Hawaii 435, 91 P.3d 1078 (2004).
Please direct all electronic Bar Application questions to the SCCO (Supreme Court Clerks Office) help line at 539-4789, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. HST. For other general questions regarding the Bar Application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Board of Examiners Office at 539-4977.