Civil Cases

Lawyer Referral and Information Service

The Lawyer Referral and Information Service is sponsored by the Hawai`i State Bar Association, and is a free service that provides names and contact information of attorneys who handle civil cases. While the referral service is free, you will need to make your own fee arrangement with the lawyer.

Phone: (808) 537-9140

If You Cannot Afford an Attorney

  • Volunteer Legal Services of Hawai`i - This non-profit organization will help with landlord-tenant problems, wills, domestic violence, and divorce and other family matters.

    Phone: O`ahu - (808) 528-7046; Neighbor Islands toll-free - 1-800-839-5200

  • Legal Aid Society of Hawai`i - This non-profit organization will help with divorce, welfare, food stamps, Social Security, Medicaid, landlord-tenant and consumer problems.

    Phone: O`ahu - (808) 536-4302; Neighbor Islands toll-free - 1-800-499-4302

Using a Mediator

If you wish to settle your dispute without going to court and without using lawyers, both parties can meet with a mediator from a community mediation center. The centers usually handle cases involving landlords, tenants, neighbors or family members.

For more information:


Back to Top

Increase text sizeDecrease text sizePrint this page

© 2008 Hawaii State Judiciary. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  Accessibility Information

HIC logo